Don’t you just love opening the door & stepping into your garden? Yes, me too. We are finally in the first stages of designing our dream garden. We’ve been in our house for a year now & all the time we’ve been having conversations about the garden.
We’ve always enjoyed watching garden makeover & design programs, making mental notes of likes & dislikes. Luckily mine & James’ tastes align most of the time, so it made it pretty easy to agree on things. This might come as a surprise, but James is taking the lead on our dream garden design & I’m just assisting (and writing about it).
Ok, let’s jump into our design.
Our Must Haves
- Decked area – as it tends to rain a fair bit in England, especially in winter, our garden transforms into a tiny ocean. While having 2 dogs is marvellous in other aspects- having 8 paws running in & out of garden & brining all the mud in- not so much.
- Built in seating – that will flow nicely together with our decking.
- Different ground textures – to add more interesting parts to the garden & also cut down of the amount of grass (due to dogs)
- Greenhouse – I’ve wanted one for a while now & we have the perfect spot for it now.
- Cherry blossom tree – since our trip to Washing DC 4 years ago, we’ve fallen in love with these.
- Water feature – we absolutely loved the idea of having a water feature of some kind, this is still not finalised.
- Living wall – the design of this is still up in the air, but I absolutely love the look of one.
Now that you know what our priorities were, let me show you some of the visuals. James spent a lot of time designing the garden & calculating materials.
As you can see we’ve broken the garden into 4 areas:
- Seating – fully built in seats (L-shaped) with raised flower beds behind, filled with lavender. Seats will be covered with seat cushions, to make it comfortable. We will also have a pergola built over it, to give it shade & over time climbing plants will cover it nicely. As the dining table will be store bought, we didn’t add it in.
- Behind the seating area, top right corner we will have our double seater hanging chair, sitting on top of a paving circle. This area will be enclosed with ferns, ornamental grasses & bamboo (in pots).
- Greenhouse – will sit snuggly behind the garage. We had to go with the lean-to design, to make sure we optimised the space. I will be writing up a post later on, when we build it (mid-August), as the lead time is very long for these.
- Living wall & water feature – I am not entirely sure what kind of living/ green wall I want, but I’ve got a few ideas.
As you can see, there is a lot of work to be done. We will be doing all the work ourselves & I am looking forwards to getting stuck into it. Probably the thing I am most excited for is the greenhouse. I can’t wait to make it into my little escape oasis all year round.
At the time of writing, we will only do the greenhouse & the swingchair this year. Our eldest dog, Cooper, has injured his right knee while playing with our new pup- Shelby. He’ll be needing surgery which costs a pretty penny, so our garden budget will go towards that.
We will be picking this up in the spring next year. What will make it easier to plan & fit in- is that we will be doing all the work ourselves. James will be doing & leading the construction of the decking & built in seating. We cannot wait for the garden to be done & we can enjoy our dinners outside. Or sit in our swing chair in the corner, surrounded by plants while reading a book.