Only wreaths I’ve ever made have been Christmas wreaths. Most of the time, same as with everything, I make it up as I go along. But, back in January, while doing my weekly shop in Aldi I spotted a little wreath making kit. So I got it. I spent a lovely sunny Saturday afternoon making 5 different wreaths (using faux flowers). And I thought – I should share my wreath making ideas with you. Either to inspire you for designs or to pick up some tips & tricks in your wreath making journey.
- different faux/ fake flowers (see below in photos what I used)
- glue gun
- florist wire
- green florists tape
- thicker florists wire to make the wreath base
- metal wreath base
- wire cutters
All the faux flowers that I used have been re-used from our wedding. For this partial craft project – I didn’t buy anything extra (apart from the kit to inspire me). everything used in all 5 designs I already had.
Few places you can find faux flowers for your projects:
- Dunelm – I bought large amount of mine from here for the wedding
- The Range – they have large selection and some really good quality ones
- You can always check your local charity shops
- Hobbycraft will have some as well or any of your local craft stores
- Even some of the supermarkets are stocking faux flowers.
- Wilkinsons have some as well – not entirely sure of the quality of these
I’d just like to point out that I am not a florist and I literally made it up as I went along. Apart from the first one – I’ve added time lapse videos of how I made it and you can see all the details. If anything is unclear- just pause the video or drop a comment below & I’ll explain further!
Design 1 – Super easy
As you can see – this is the easies wreath you can make takes less than couple of minutes. Yet you still have a beautiful new decor in your house.
Design 2 – Rose wreath
I don’t know about you, but roses are one of my favourite flowers and this wreath – just perfect for that spring decor you were looking for. You will need a wire wreath base, glue gun, faux roses and some greenery. Again, it won’t take you long to get this made.
Design 3 – The grinch
Sorry, not sorry on the naming of this one. I used all the loose greenery leafs I had to make this little green wreath. I gathered 3-4 pieces and then used the florists wire secured it to the previous bunch. And continued until I used up all my greenery. Again – these are just some wreath making ideas you can pinch and adapt in your wreath making adventures. These are not perfect by any means.
Design 4 – Minimal, but pretty
Honestly, you can go in so many directions with making wreaths. There is no right or wrong way really. But I love this simple wreath with eucalyptus and cherry blossoms. Simple, but beautiful! I used 2 of the thicker florists wire to make the base of it and then attached the rest.
Design 5 – Half wreath
This is the biggest one I did, but it’s my absolute favourite. I user 3 thicker florists wire to make the circle and then using thinner florists wire & florists tape – secured all the faux flowers. The 3rd thicker wire I added at the top to make it bit more chunkier or sturdier.
So, what do you think of my wreath making ideas and inspo? Are you feeling inspired? Let me quickly share some of my thoughts & advice with you before you embark on your wreath making adventure:
- Where possible – use green florists wire as it’ll blend in much better than silver
- Don’t be scared in taking some things apart and start again
- And if it doesn’t turn out how you planned – that is OK
- If you’ve never made wreaths before – I would try and find the cheaper supplies to give it a go before you invest more monies in it
Make sure you tag me in your creations on the gram – details below.