Before I jump into this weeks blog I firstly must apologise for the shockingly bad pictures for this recipe! Nearly all cooking/ dinner recipes are done & made in the evening, you know – for dinner! But by that time the lighting is not good. We are very quite hungry and the photography set up – is not ready. I do however think this is the last ‘bad photo post’ as I have got my photography corner set up now! Woohoo!! Right, vegan pie recipe- that’s why you’re here! Again, same all (or at least most) my recipes – is easy to make.
Let’s jump into the recipe!
I had left over pastry from when I made Vegan cheese and potato mini pies – that I had frozen. I will repeat the pastry recipe below, adjusted for this recipe quantity needed.
Vegan pie pastry
- 500 g plain flour
- 140 ml olive oil
- 240 ml water
- ½ tsp salt
- Add all your ingredients in stand mixer with hook attachment and mix until combined. For the last part you will have to empty the dough of the table and finish mixing it with your hands. Make sure the surface is clean.
And now for the main part – pie filling!
Vegan Pie Recipe with Tofu Filling
Pastry – use the recipe above
- 1 tin green lentils
- 280 g tofu
- 1 bell pepper
- 2 carrots
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 300 ml vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- handful mushrooms these were leftover shrooms from previous nights dinner, so I used them up. This is an optional addition, but these add nice flavour & texture
- 100 g vegan cheese if you want more or less cheese, please adjust accordingly
- handful spring onions
- seasoning (salt, pepper, smoked paprika) to taste
- Preheat the oven to 180°C
- Take about ⅔ of your pastry & roll it out. You will use this to make the base of your pie. Roll it out and put it in your pie dish. line it with baking paper and fill with baking beans & bake for about 15 minutes. Then remove baking beans and bake for another 10 minutes. Make sure you don't burn it.
- While the pastry is baking- add a frying pan with a bit of olive oil on the frying pan. Peel & chop up onion & garlic. Once frying pan is hot enough- add onion & cook until soft. Then add garlic.
- Peel & cut carrot up finely or if you prefer – you can grate it. Remove the seeds and cut bell pepper up as well. Using a sieve – drain and rinse the green beans.
- When onion & garlic has become golden – add carrots, peppers & beans. While these cook – peel and cut up mushrooms & add them to the pan.
- In a separate bowl – crumble up tofu and add sal, pepper, smoked paprika & nutritional yeast, mix it up. It will look a bit like mince. Then add this to the frying pan as well. Mix it all well and let I cook for 3-5 minutes, make sure you stir so it doesn't burn.
- Add tomato paste & stock. Bring to boil and let it simmer until the liquid has reduced.
- One the filling is ready – fill up your pie, sprinkle the cheese & chives over it. The roll out the remaining pastry and cover it up. In all honesty – you can leave the 'lid' off if you prefer.
- Bake for another 10-15 minutes until the top has a nice golden look.
- Serve with salad. Or not. Either way it'll taste good!
This vegan pie recipe is without the doubt the longest recipe I have on the blog (so far anyway)! I mostly prefer easy & quick to make recipes, but sometimes spending a bit more time in the kitchen is a nice therapy!
I always associate ‘pie‘ related foods to be a very long making process – do you? Maybe I should work on creating pies that won’t take as long. Leave your comments & suggestions in the comments box below!
Are there any pies that you absolutely love making and cannot live without?
I do really hope you will enjoy my vegan pie recipe and if you are looking for some more dinner recipes – check out more HERE!